Re: Emacs-guix: variable is void: guix-current-profile

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: Emacs-guix: variable is void: guix-current-profile
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2019 21:10:32 +0300

zimoun (2019-01-02 16:34 +0100) wrote:

> Dear,
>
> Happy New Year !
>
> Thank you this nice interface !!
>
> I am have installed Guix on the top of Debian.
> If I understand well, I installed the packages guile, guile-gcrypt and
> Emacs, obviously. :-)
> And emacs-guix comes from MELPA, Geiser too.
> Then I am a bit confused.
>
> M-x guix pops up.
> However, press p leads to the message:
> "guix-popup-format-profile: Symbol’s value as variable is void:
> guix-current-profile"
> But, C-h v guix-current-profile returns
> "/var/guix/profiles/per-user/simon/guix-profile"

Ouch, this is a bug!  Sorry and thank you for the report!
It should be fixed by the latest commit:

https://notabug.org/alezost/emacs-guix/commit/d7b54784bc3962570519aac472f54598c10299ae

So you may try to reinstall it from MELPA to check if it works now.  BTW
installing from MELPA should be as fine, as from Guix.  As far as I
understand, the problems you faced are not related to the way you
install Emacs-Guix.

> Last, 'guix package -s gmsh' returns the package that I am looking for.
> However, `M-x guix p n gmsh' does not.
> I need to do 'guix package -i guix' to find gmsh with emacs-guix. Hum?

Yes, this is a big problem on non-GuixSD systems.  In short, "guix pull"
does not install its guile dependencies in the pulled profile.  Instead
they are hardcoded in "~/.config/guix/current/bin/guix", so Emacs-Guix
can't use these modules and this leads to unexpected errors.

The only workaround is to install "guix" in a user profile: this will
automatically "propagate" (install) all the missing Guile dependencies.

People usually don't face this problem on GuixSD because "guix" (thus,
all its propagated dependencies) is installed in a system profile there.

I don't see a way to fix this problem on the Emacs-Guix side.  For more
details, you may look at the discussion at
<https://github.com/alezost/guix.el/issues/28>.

--
Alex