Re: Generating System Definitions

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Generating System Definitions
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2018 15:58:12 +0100

Hi cdelia,

> There is a standard way to generate an exportable installer.scm from a
> specific generation?

There is not.  We only go from description to state, never from state
back to the description.

Ideally, your system configuration includes a complete description of
the desired state of your machine, so you needn’t “export” anything but
simply instantiate the configuration on the target machine.

> When I'm only using the base distro to boot, I'll switch, but for that
> I guess it would be cool to simple "export" the state of my machine to
> the new installation, with the proper 'merging' taking place. With
> merging I mean that the exported configuration will be a subset of the
> final full guixSD distro.

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by “merging” in this context.
Could you give an example of state that would be affected by a merge
like that?

--
Ricardo