Re: GC hints

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: GC hints
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 00:30:30 -0800

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Ludovic,
>
> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Actually, I was also wondering whether we should provide a configurable
>> mechanism that would, by default, automatically delete old GC roots and
>> maybe even run the GC automatically when needed—similar to what Git
>> does.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> I think it's reasonable to automatically run GC by default, but I would
> strongly advise against deleting GC roots automatically by default
> without the user's knowledge and consent.

Just to be clear, I agree with you, Mark.  Guix shouldn't delete GC
roots automatically by default.  I think we were just saying that it
might be nice if a user could configure Guix to automatically delete GC
roots according to some policy (e.g., retain the last 2, and delete any
others older than 1 month).  Guix would only delete the GC roots
according to the policy that the user has set, and if no policy has been
set, the default would be not to delete any of the GC roots.

--
Chris