Re: Lock screen gnome

From: Timothy Sample
Subject: Re: Lock screen gnome
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 09:48:56 -0500

Hi Ludo and Gábor,

Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. dec. 19., Sze,
> 14:53):
>>
>> Hi Timothy,
>>
>> Timothy Sample <address@hidden> skribis:
>>
>> > Someday I would like to return to fixing GDM, but I am a bit
>> > traumatized.  It is a very slow and frustrating package to debug.
>> >
>> > 1. https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-08/msg00268.html
>> >    https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-10/msg00231.html
>>
>> I would love to have GDM fixed for 1.0 though, because this GNOME
>> screen-locking issue, among other things, is really problematic.
>>
>> Is there anything we can do to help or otherwise provide motivation?
>> :-)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ludo’.
>>

> Yes, I also believe we need this. Along with the screen-locking
> multi-monitor support and i18n support comes to mind.
>
> If we can help in any way, please feel free to contact us.
>
> Thanks,
> g_bor

The way I was testing it was by running it in a VM.  This made testing
any little idea take way too long.  It would be nice to have a faster
way of testing it.  If anyone has any experience running a nested
instance of GDM, being able to do that would be a big help.  (The trade
off is that figuring that out might be just as hard as fixing GDM in the
first place.)

Other than that, I agree that this is a critical feature.  GNOME needs
GDM to work smoothly, and GNOME is pretty important for wider adoption.
I am happy to take another look at this (eventually!), but I do not have
any particular expertise here, so if anyone else is feeling brave, they
would have just as good a chance at fixing it as me.  :)

-- Tim