Re: Next browser finally on master!

From: swedebugia
Subject: Re: Next browser finally on master!
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 00:13:49 -0800

On 2018-12-11 08:46, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
> Hi!  Thanks for the feedback.
>
>> M-x
>> scroll the list to the bottom (with down-arrow) (freezez at
>> JUMP-TO-HEADING)
>
> I can't reproduce this.  Can you produce this systematically?  Can you post
> the
> content of /tmp/next-gtk-webkit.log?

On startup it works. Clicking a link and trying makes it freeze :D

See log arrached

Cannot reproduce scroll page freeze right now. will return when I have
an example.

>> “next-gtk-webkit” is not responding."
>
> Where do you see that?

Gnome-message after it has been frozen some time. not relevant...

> Note that next-gtk-webkit is quite stable on its own, the issue is with
> WebKitGTK.  I still need to tinker with it a little, and hopefully the
> situation
> will get much better.

In vimb the crash on query.wikidata.org is not freezing it up. it simply
displays an error in the bottom and continues to work.

>> navigate to some page on youtube
>> press play and seek (freezes when trying to seek)
>> (gstreamer, clutter-gst, gst good, base libav installed)
>
> Can you play any video?!?  I can't play any video at all on GuixSD.  I works
> on
> Arch Linux though.

yes, they play but VP/webm lag. mp4 does not though!
tested here:
https://goblinrefuge.com/mediagoblin/u/praveenvarma/m/enrre-vidyaalyN-1/
the mp4 plays perfect.
the vp/webm lags and it becomes non fluent to watch.

i'm on 64bity x86 but with i686 guix :)

> Currently, I've setup the following workaround in ~/.config/next/init.lisp to
> play videos with mpv.

> (define-command play-video-in-current-page ()
>   "Play video in the currently open buffer."
>   (with-result (url (buffer-get-url))
>     (uiop:run-program (list "mpv" url))))
> (define-key *global-map* (key "C-M-c v") 'play-video-in-current-page)

Will try it and report back :)

>> I tried it out for some time now. Unfortunately it is buggy and freezes
>> on me with no backtrace provided :-/.
>
> Stay tuned, next release (hopefully by next week) will be much, much better!

Nice!

--
Cheers
Swedebugia