Re: btrfs and subvolumes for root, take 2

From: Fredrik Salomonsson
Subject: Re: btrfs and subvolumes for root, take 2
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2018 17:56:07 -0800

Hi,

> Fredrik Salomonsson <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> The Guile backtrace you sent shows that /etc/ssl already existed when
>>> your system booted and was not a symlink.  This led the “activation
>>> code” of GuixSD to fail:
>>>

>>> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/build/activation.scm#n320
>>>
>>> The solution is to remove /etc/ssl (is it coming from another distro
>>> previously installed on this device?).  You can boot a separate medium,
>>> mount the root partition, and “rm -rf /etc/ssl” from there.  Or you can,
>>> at the boot REPL that you get after the backtrace, type something like:
>>>
>>>   ,use (guix build utils)
>>>   (delete-file-recursively "/etc/ssl")
>>>   ,q
>>>
>>> Note that you might have similar issues with /etc/pam.d, for instance,
>>> if there’s such a stale directory.
>>
>> Thanks for the reply. That pointed me in the right direction. Although
>> the solution you suggested wasn't an option for me. As it turned out, it
>> was actually mounting my Arch Linux root (__current/arch-root). Which I
>> had set to be the default subvolume if no ~subvol=~ option is given when
>> mounting the disk.
>
> Clearly / or /etc cannot be shared between GuixSD and another distro;
> each distro needs to have full control over these.  My suggestion would
> be to share nothing but /home (and /gnu, /var/guix, and /etc/guix if you
> want to able to use Guix on the other distro).
>
> I can’t really advise more than this since the specifics are then a
> matter of taste.  :-)

I think you misunderstood what I meant. I'm not sharing / or /etc
between GuixSD and Arch linux. Both have their own / (and /etc), in
their own subvolume (think partitions for ext4).

See this thread for a full explanation of my disk layout:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2017-08/msg00011.html

But in short, only /home, /gnu, /var/guix and /boot/grub are shared
between the two. The issue I had was that for some reason when booting
GuixSD. It ignore the rootflags for mounting GuixSD's /, instead it
mounted the / for Arch, as that was the default. Which causes the
error. Clearly I do not want it to share /etc between the two, that
would be madness. :)

I worked around that by changing the default to GuixSD's /. So now it's
mounting the correct subvolumes. Sorry about the confusion.

--
s/Fred[re]+i[ck]+/Fredrik/g