scheme shells (was Re: Failing to use guile-bash)

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: scheme shells (was Re: Failing to use guile-bash)
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 12:54:39 +0100

Hi David,

David Larsson <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
> I installed the guile-bash package and tried to use it as below but
> can't get it to work. Anyone who is successfully using it?

unfortunately the project is currently retired:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/guile.scm#n1751
«
   ;; This project is currently retired.  It was initially announced here:
   ;; <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2015-02/msg00003.html>.
»

and the git repo appears to be deleted

 https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/users/kaction-guest/retired/dev.guile-bash.git

unfortunately the other project guile-scsh (Guile Scheme Shell) is
bitrotten according to this
https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/The-Scheme-shell-_0028scsh_0029.html

so the two projects I'm aware of are unmaintained :-( (I'm still not able to
even think contributing)

going a *little bit* OT...

(**disclaimer**: I'm an Emacs newbie _addicted_ so I'm much biased

a possible alternative I can suggest you is to explore Eshell [1], the
Emacs eshell: it's not a POSIX shell replacement but it's an interesting
interface to our operating system, and we can script it [2]

on this matter I found an interesting (long) article worth reading
https://web.archive.org/web/20181014151102/https://ambrevar.xyz/emacs-eshell/

«Back in the days, VT-like terminals were our main mean of communicating
with a machine. Decades went by, our desktop computers can now handle
gigabytes of buffering and display in 24-bit colors, and yet we still
stick to terminal emulators, that is, programs that emulate the
restrictions of those ancient machines. »

DANGER: that article made me more Emacs addicted

HTH!
Gio

[...]

[1]