Re: Root guix dereferencing

From: Clément Lassieur
Subject: Re: Root guix dereferencing
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 19:27:24 +0100

Thorsten Wilms <address@hidden> writes:

>> If you are using Ubuntu, you don't need to use that command though, but
>> you need your systemd's guix-daemon to point to a recent guix.  It could
>> be either the one updated by root's 'guix pull', or the one updated by
>> your current user's 'guix pull'.  I chose the latter because I want to
>> run 'guix pull' only once.
>
> You mean edit /etc/systemd/guix-daemin.service and change
> "/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix-daemon"?

Well...  The problem with the default one is that it's not updated by
'guix pull', rather it's updated when root's guix package[1] is updated
(that is: less often).  It's not a big deal though, because
'guix-daemon' is very stable, rarely changed.

(Actually, there is no difference at the moment, because I believe 'guix
pull' uses the daemon of the guix package.  But there might be a
difference in the future.)

tldr: you don't need to change your guix-daemon :/

> If so, to what, as there's no guix-daemon in
> /var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/.

To /home/<your-user>/.config/guix/current/bin/guix-daemon or
/root/.config/guix/current/bin/guix-daemon, depending on whether you
want to use your user's Guix-daemon or root's Guix-daemon.

But your current situation is fine :)

> Is the whole reason to have /usr/local/bin/guix to make guix available for
> root without modifying root's PATH?

The reason is to make the 'guix' command available to every user,
because /usr/local/bin is supposedly in every user's PATH.  You don't
need it anymore if all your users already have their own 'guix' command.

> Things are a bit clearer now, thanks, Clément.

This stuff is pretty complicated anyway.  You're welcome :-)

Clément

[1]:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/package-management.scm#n100