Re: Enjoying GuixSD

From: Björn Höfling
Subject: Re: Enjoying GuixSD
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2018 03:09:56 +0100

On Fri, 09 Nov 2018 15:18:00 -0600
Brett Gilio <address@hidden> wrote:

> Brian Woodcox writes:
> > P.S.  If anyone feels energetic and has the time, it would be nice
> > to have a recipe to install the VirtualBox Guest Additions into
> > GuixSD. Then I can get copy and paste to work. :)
>
> I am thrilled you are having as good of a time with GuixSD as I am. It
> is a truly tremendous system, and I have found virtually no
> limitations.
>
> Somebody may have to correct me on this, but I believe VirtualBox's
> Guest Additions have a freedom issue, so you will be unlikely to find
> a recipe to get it packaged for installation. I apologize on that
> front, however I do recommend you use QEMU instead if possible in
> KVM, that way you can use the fully free VirtIO bundle for
> acceleration and achieving full screen with proper resolution and so

I don't know exactly. But I also have that feeling that there was some
freedom issue with the guest additions.

I'm working over SSH for that purpose: What I'm doing is adding an SSH
service to my GuixSD-VM-config, having the SSH port being
opened/redirected, setting up an SSH-key and having an alias in my
~/.ssh/config:

Host g64
        HostName localhost
        Port 3333
        User bjoern

In that way I can quickly, passwordless login via "ssh g64" into my
GuixSD x86_64 machine and have the usual copy/paste from my host system.
For files/longer pastes I can use "scp local-file g64:~".

Björn