Re: Finally installed GuixSD 0.15.0 into a VM on Mac OSX

From: swedebugia
Subject: Re: Finally installed GuixSD 0.15.0 into a VM on Mac OSX
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2018 20:27:48 +0100

Hi

On 2018-11-04 17:04, Brian Woodcox wrote:
So it finally happened after a few days of trying and the excellent help here.
Thanks to all.

I have a VirtualBox VM running on Mac OSX High Sierra.
Congratulations!

I just succeded installing, resizing & guix pulling via the 0.15 binary VM image. (total time took some hours from commit=v0.15 from berlin)

Most of the time was used to figure out how to resize the qcow2-image and configure qemu. You gotta love free software! <3

Will post guide or blog post when I am satisfied (SSH into to the guest does not work yet for some reason).

Took a few days to compile everything from sources using
--substitute-urls="https://berlin.guixsd.org”.  Don’t do this unless you are
very patient.
Berlin had all needed substitutes for my bare-bones.tmpl ->config.scm.
While installing the new VM, I found some issues with the install scripts:

bzip2 —> The correct fix from Leo was to download the file as follows—> guix
download
https://web.archive.org/web/20180624184835/http://www.bzip.org/1.0.6/bzip2-1.0.6.tar.gz
I never ran into this as I am running 0.15, NOT vanilla.

texlive-20170524 —> From Mark, I downloaded from —>
ftp://tug.org/texlive/historic/2017/texlive-20170524-extra.tar.xz

nss-3.36.1 —> So I received an answer on this, but no definitive solution.
Sorry, I had to edit the builder script and remove the tests to get this to
install.  I guess I will install this properly later when it gets fixed.
You could create your own custom package.

guix-artwork-6998d30 —> So I have no idea how to download this file.  Instead,
I (sorry Mark) edit the
rsgj5syf4azvg4y80gqbr94gr4i9226y-guix-artwork-6998d30-checkout.drv file and
changed it to https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix/guix-artwork.git
You could create your own custom package.

I know your not supposed to edit these, but had I not, I would be waiting for a
while.  When these are fixed, I will install them properly.

I guess I was the guinea pig to show that there are some issues with the
install that need to be addressed.
Aren't we all. Now you know what BETA feels like :D

Thanks everyone.  Now I can play with the fresh OS.

Happy hacking!

Would you be willing to post a screenshot?

--
Cheers
Swedebugia