Re: *** TRYING TO INSTALL GUIXSD v0.15.0 FOR DAYS ***

From: George Clemmer
Subject: Re: *** TRYING TO INSTALL GUIXSD v0.15.0 FOR DAYS ***
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 17:54:06 -0400

Hi Brian & Leo

Brian, I believe that what you are experiencing as a "hang" is actually
the incredibly long time that it takes for guile to bootstrap itself.  I
started encountering this recently when commissioning new VMs and. At
first I thought they were "hung" but eventually I discovered that they
were doing this step, and it takes >30 min on address@hidden

In my case I do 'guix system vm-image' and then, on the vm, I build
guix, emacs-guix, and geiser from Git. I don't think this is much
different than installing the 0.15.0 image on VirtualBox.

I don't understand why Guile feels the need to bootstrap itself in this
situation. And this behavior seems to be "new" in recent Guix commits.

Have you tried just letting it chug away overnight?

FWIW, I am building vms with Guix v0.15.0-3097-gc16913d34.

HTH - George