Re: *** TRYING TO INSTALL GUIXSD v0.15.0 FOR DAYS ***

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: *** TRYING TO INSTALL GUIXSD v0.15.0 FOR DAYS ***
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 14:35:46 -0400

Brian Woodcox <address@hidden> writes:

> So I have been trying to install GuixSD 0.15.0 for a few days now.
>
> My first problem was not setting
> —substitutes-urls=“https://berlin.guixsd.org.  So that fixed one
> problem.
>
> My other problem is try as I might, I cannot get either guile-2.2.3 or
> guile-2.2.4 to install.
>
> It always hangs when trying to do the tests after writing all the *.go
> files, (which by the way takes a long time).

What are the last messages visible at the point where it gets stuck?
It would be helpful to see the tail of the build log.

Since I've not seen other reports of this problem, my first guess is
that the problem is specific to builds done within VirtualBox, for some
reason.  It would be useful to know which test is getting stuck.  Since
VirtualBox requires a non-free compiler for part of its build, I don't
use it myself.  I use QEMU instead.

Also, normally you would not need to build Guile, but would simply
download a binary substitute for Guile.  However, our primary build farm
is currently offline due to a recent disk failure, and our newer build
farm (berlin.guixsd.org) unfortunately does not have a complete set of
substitutes for 0.15.0, but only for the most popular or most recently
built ones.

So, this is a temporary issue while we wait for the FSF sysadmins to
finish migrating hydra.gnu.org to a new disk array, which will probably
be another few days.  I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

> So are there any work arounds to disable the tests for guile-2.2.x so
> I can get this operating system operational?

In theory it could be done, but disabling tests would be a change to the
Guile package, and therefore a change to the derivations of all packages
built on top of Guile, which in Guix is *everything* because Guile is
used to execute our build recipes.

As a result, if you did this, you would not be able to find *any* binary
substitutes from our official servers, because you'd be asking for
different derivations than the ones built by our build farm.