Re: WebRTC support (jitsi) in Guix-packaged browsers?

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: WebRTC support (jitsi) in Guix-packaged browsers?
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 01:01:35 -0700

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> Not needed anymore, but out of curiosity, how do you install Firefox on
> GuixSD?
> Is there a channel somewhere? :p

In short, you can usually get any ELF binaries built for your
architecture working on GuixSD if you use a tool like patchelf to change
the ld interpreter path embedded in the pre-built ELF binaries.  To
ensure the program can load the libraries it needs, you might also need
to modify or add embedded rpath entries in the same ELF binaries;
alternatively, you can set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the place where
the required libraries can be found (e.g., in a Guix profile).

I've done this for Firefox on my own GuixSD machine once in the past,
when I wanted to compare Firefox's behavior with IceCat's to
troubleshoot an issue I was having.  It took some trial and error to get
it working.  In any case, the result is a hack that is brittle and
tedious to maintain.  But sometimes, it's a useful trick to know.

--
Chris