Re: Can't log in: blank login screen after reconfigure

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Can't log in: blank login screen after reconfigure
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2018 13:11:39 -0700

<address@hidden> writes:

> Hello! I think always you get trouble after update need to
> roll-back. Here I've got the solution
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-guix/2018-09/msg00153.html
> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-guix/2018-09/msg00153.html>
> Try to boot with other options, choosing previous kernel and then roll-back.

Thank you for the reply!  Yes, I'm able to roll back by choosing a
previous GRUB menu entry.  I love this feature of GuixSD.  :-)

Björn Höfling <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm using a configuration containing a %desktop-services with
> xfce-desktop-service added.

SLiM is included in the %desktop-services (see:
gnu/services/desktop.scm), so anyone who uses %desktop-services without
modifying it is using SLiM.

> I just guix pulled, guix system reconfigured and be on:
>
> 2c17bd7b2955beef4130d11b33e07e4fb3b234dc
>
> and it works for me, I see a login, can login, XFCE is working
> afterwords.

Thank you for the info and offer for help!  I think I need to
investigate a little more on my own first, though.  So far, I haven't
seen or heard any evidence to suggest this is a problem with Guix.  It
sounds more like a problem with my specific situation.

Strangely, this problem only occurs for me in my VirtualBox VM.  On
other bare metal GuixSD installations, I've run "guix pull" and
reconfigured my system without any problems.  I'll keep investigating
and let you know if I find out anything useful.

Just knowing that nobody else has encountered the problem is helpful.

--
Chris