Re: Does not halt after Menu - Logout - Shut down and closing notebook h

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Does not halt after Menu - Logout - Shut down and closing notebook hood
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 01:50:09 -0700

<address@hidden> writes:

> [...]  And may be I will need
> any other configurations in other services that were not mentioned in
> Guix cgit.
> So how to get their exact names?

Some (perhaps most) services assume that you are somewhat familiar with
the software in question.  For example, the explanation of the
openssh-configuration in the Guix manual explains what the configuration
items do, but if you don't know what OpenSSH is, then it probably
doesn't help you very much.  When you encounter situations like this,
you might sometimes need to read more about the software in question
before you will understand how to use it in GuixSD.  This is generally
true for any GNU/Linux distribution.

> I started to learn guile at free time. But other Linux distributions
> had answers in the web how to configure.
> Using GuixSD I need to know exactly every package configurations and
> to now exactly how to translate it into Scheme.
> I there any specific manual how to do that?

In cases like this, your best bet is to do the following:

1) Check the GNU Guix manual.  You can read it online [1] or on your
computer via the command "info guix".

2) Check the GNU Guix source.  It sounds like you already know how to do
that.  Sometimes, the source code contains helpful information that has
not yet been added to the manual.

3) Search the address@hidden email archives [2] for information.
Sometimes, the same question has been asked before.  It's also useful to
search the address@hidden email list [3], since a lot of discussion
happens there, also.

4) If you still don't understand something, ask for help at
address@hidden  You can also ask for help in our IRC chat room [4].

Nobody starts out knowing everything.  The Guix community is very
welcoming to newcomers, and I'm sure that if you take the time to ask
questions, you'll receive friendly, useful advice.  Good luck!

Footnotes:
[1]  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/GNU-Distribution.html

[2]  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/

[3]  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/