Re: How to properly use channels? (my 'guix pull' throws error)

From: Hebi Li
Subject: Re: How to properly use channels? (my 'guix pull' throws error)
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2018 15:11:15 -0500

On Tue, Oct 02 2018, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:

>> On Tue, Oct 02 2018, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>>
>>> AFAIK this defect has been fixed a couple of days ago.  Unfortunately,
>>> you need to upgrade Guix with “guix pull” but without channels.  Once
>>> upgraded you can use channels again.
>>>

>> I actually ran "guix pull" right before I tried Ludovic's suggestion
>> earlier today. Anyway I pulled again, and did a full system upgrade
>> (guix package -u) and also reconfigure (sudo -E guix system reconfigure
>> config.scm), and even a reboot.  The "guix pull" command is still
>> complaining "no code for module (gcrypt hash)".
>
> Could you please tell us which “guix” you are using?  “guix pull”
> installs a new Guix to ~/.config/guix/current/bin.  Are you using Guix
> from that directory?

Now I see the problem. I'm using ~/.guix-profile/bin/guix. Using
~/.config/guix/current/bin/guix, I'm able to build the chromium
package.

So does this mean that, I should put this path
(~/.config/guix/current/bin) before (~/.guix-profile/bin) in $PATH?
Otherwise it will appear that "guix pull" does not upgrade "guix".

What is the purpose of ~/.guix-profile/bin/guix then? Since it is
symbolic linked to /gnu/store/xxx-guix, it is only updated after "guix
package -u"?

>> I thought ~/.config/guix/current symlink *is* the local source tree, and
>> this document says both "./pre-inst-env guix pull" and "guix pull"
>> upgrade it.
>
> ~/.config/guix is merely where “guix pull” installs new versions of
> Guix.  The source tree is wherever you run Guix via “pre-inst-env”.

I see. Thanks!

--
Hebi