Re: guix system reconfigure compiles everything too long

From: Nils Gillmann
Subject: Re: guix system reconfigure compiles everything too long
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2018 16:20:22 +0000

Hi,

two comments inlined.

znavko transcribed 21K bytes:
> Hello! I have been running `guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm` before,
> and it finished after 1 or 2 hours. Now it is working more than 6 hours on
> Lenovo G50-30. It compiles everything
> http://0x0.st/sxda.png http://0x0.st/sxnm.png even icecat
> http://0x0.st/sx51.png I want it uses binaries, do not need to compile
> sources. Cannot understand, why adding (packages (cons* icecat)) produces
> compilation process of icecat?
> Please, what is wrong?
>
> My current /etc/config.scm is this:
> # cat /etc/config.scm
> ;; This is an operating system configuration template
> ;; for a "desktop" setup with GNOME and Xfce where the
> ;; root partition is encrypted with LUKS.
>
> (use-modules (gnu) (gnu system nss)
>              (gnu packages lxde)
>              (gnu packages gnuzilla)
>              (gnu packages image-viewers)
>              (gnu packages curl)
>              (gnu packages wget)
>              (gnu packages compression)
> )
> (use-service-modules desktop)
> (use-package-modules certs gnome)
>
> (operating-system
>   (host-name "antelope")
>   (timezone "Europe/Moscow")
>   (locale "en_US.utf8")
>
>   ;; Use the UEFI variant of GRUB with the EFI System
>   ;; Partition mounted on /boot/efi.
>   (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
>                 (bootloader grub-bootloader)
>                 (target "/dev/sda")))
>
>   (file-systems (cons (file-system
>                         (device "/dev/sda1")
>                         (mount-point "/")
>                         (type "ext4")
>                         )
>                       %base-file-systems))
>
>   (swap-devices '("/dev/sda2"))
>
>   (users (cons* (user-account
>                 (name "bob")
>                 (comment "bob is good too")
>                 (group "users")
>                 (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev"
>                                         "audio" "video"))
>                 (home-directory "/home/bob"))
>                %base-user-accounts))
>
>   ;; This is where we specify system-wide packages.
>   (packages (cons* nss-certs         ;for HTTPS access
>                    gvfs              ;for user mounts
>                    lxde lxde-common lxde-icon-theme
                     ^
                     lxde is already a package containing all of the
                     other lx* lxde* packages (+ pcmanfm etc) you list
                     below and above. If there is something I forgot
                     to include in lxde, which is already present in
                     the lxde module, that's a bug. Otherwise, you can
                     reduce this list already.

>                     lxpanel lxmenu-data lxinput lxsession
>                    pcmanfm
>                    gedit file-roller evince gpicview
>                    icecat
                     is there a reason why you put icecat in a system
                     profile instead of a user profile? Usually it is
                     better to have this in your user profile, unless
                     you want to have all system users to have access
                     to it (instead of installation per user).

>                    curl wget unzip
>                    %base-packages))
>
>   ;; Add GNOME and/or Xfce---we can choose at the log-in
>   ;; screen with F1.  Use the "desktop" services, which
>   ;; include the X11 log-in service, networking with
>   ;; NetworkManager, and more.
>   (services (cons* (xfce-desktop-service)
>                    %desktop-services))
>
>   ;; Allow resolution of '.local' host names with mDNS.
>   (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss))
>
> And my old config was this:
> # cat /root/config.scm
> ;; This is an operating system configuration template
> ;; for a "desktop" setup with GNOME and Xfce where the
> ;; root partition is encrypted with LUKS.
>
> (use-modules (gnu) (gnu system nss))
> (use-service-modules desktop)
> (use-package-modules certs gnome)
>
> (operating-system
>   (host-name "antelope")
>   (timezone "Europe/Moscow")
>   (locale "en_US.utf8")
>
>   ;; Use the UEFI variant of GRUB with the EFI System
>   ;; Partition mounted on /boot/efi.
>   (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
>                 (bootloader grub-bootloader)
>                 (target "/dev/sda")))
>
>   (file-systems (cons (file-system
>                         (device "/dev/sda1")
>                         (mount-point "/")
>                         (type "ext4")
>                         )
>                       %base-file-systems))
>
>   (swap-devices '("/dev/sda2"))
>
>   (users (cons* (user-account
>                 (name "bob")
>                 (comment "bob is good too")
>                 (group "users")
>                 (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev"
>                                         "audio" "video"))
>                 (home-directory "/home/bob"))
>                %base-user-accounts))
>
>   ;; This is where we specify system-wide packages.
>   (packages (cons* nss-certs         ;for HTTPS access
>                    gvfs              ;for user mounts
>                    %base-packages))
>
>   ;; Add GNOME and/or Xfce---we can choose at the log-in
>   ;; screen with F1.  Use the "desktop" services, which
>   ;; include the X11 log-in service, networking with
>   ;; NetworkManager, and more.
>   (services (cons* (xfce-desktop-service)
>                    %desktop-services))
>
>   ;; Allow resolution of '.local' host names with mDNS.
>   (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss))
>
> Why new config takes so much time? And after new system reconfiguration I
> have KDE and Gnome. But I need only LXDE and Xfce.

I doubt you have KDE, we don't even have KDE Plasma packaged as a
service or package (unless that changed recently..).