how does mounting work?

From: Marco van Hulten
Subject: how does mounting work?
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2018 17:02:48 +0200

Hi—

When I insert a USB stick, an icon representing a partition shows up on
the desktop.  When I double-click it, it gets mounted under some
directory under /media/$(whoami)/.  What command is actually executed?

I tried 'gvfs-mount', but now I'm quite sure it isn't that:

$ gvfs-mount --list
This tool has been deprecated, use 'gio mount' instead.
See 'gio help mount' for more info.

/home/marco/.guix-profile/bin/gvfs-mount: line 13: exec: gio: not found

But this does look like something that wants fixing.  Maybe gvfs-mount
is a wrong or an unnecessary dependency of some other package.

It's a couple of weeks ago before I updated GuixSD.

—Marco