Re: contributing to Guix and learning Guix

From: Björn Höfling
Subject: Re: contributing to Guix and learning Guix
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 07:27:23 +0200

On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 10:40:43 -0700
Quiliro Ordonez <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello and congratulations for this great project from the ethical and
> from the functional aspects of this work :-).
>
> I am interested in learning Guix in order to help myself install Guix,
> repair problems and to add packages which I need into the repository.
> Sometimes learning has been slow for me because I have not been able
> to find the information or the information that I have found has been
> too difficult to understand for my level of knowledge.
>
> The project needs contribution on: project management, art,
> documentation, packaging, programming, system administration,
> testing/reporting, translation as per
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/contribute/ . Users need help with
> installation, reporting/repairing errors, packaging.
>
> I think it would be very useful for Guix users and for the Guix
> project to feed the help users can provide the project with the help
> that other users and the docs can give them. Is there a web page
> which will guide users in the process of solving their issues and by
> the way contributing to Guix? If there is not and is considered
> useful, I could contribute on this or on whatever could be suggested.
>
> Ĝis revido,
> Quiliro

Hi Quiliro,

I don't exactly understand what you want to say. Hope this answers a
bit:

I think the best way to learn how to contribute to Guix is via
packaging one of your favourite packages. Depending on once choice,
this can be a quite easy task with just hitting the importer or
unfortunately can be quite tedious and frustrating, if the package does
not compile, needs patches, has dependencies not yet in Guix, etc.

The mailing lists and IRC channel is always open for concrete questions.

In the documentation there is a section about contributing,
especially submitting patches:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/guix.html#Submitting-Patches

There are also two debbugs ("Debian bugs", that's the name of the
software) bug trackers for open issues. Here people can find open
issues, ranging from hard Guix internals to easy package reviews:

One for bugs:

https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=guix

And the other one for patches waiting for reviews:

https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=guix-patches

Björn