Re: Cuirass fibers crash // using with GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH

From: Clément Lassieur
Subject: Re: Cuirass fibers crash // using with GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2018 19:33:33 +0200

Hi Ricardo,

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Guix,
>
> I have a server running GuixSD with Cuirass and it’s supposed to build a
> bunch of user-provided manifests continuously.  These manifests refer to
> packages that are defined in a separate repository that is on
> GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH, so really the Cuirass specification for them depends
> on two repositories.  Can we express this with specifications?

Yes, the Cuirass manual shows an example that does exactly what you
want:

      '((#:name . "foo-master")
        (#:load-path-inputs . ("guix"))
        (#:package-path-inputs . ("packages"))
        (#:proc-input . "conf")
        (#:proc-file . "drv-list.scm")
        (#:proc . cuirass-jobs)
        (#:proc-args (subset . "foo"))
        (#:inputs . (((#:name . "guix")
                      (#:url . "git://git.savannah.gnu.org/guix.git")
                      (#:load-path . ".")
                      (#:branch . "master")
                      (#:no-compile? . #t))
                     ((#:name . "conf")
                      (#:url . "git://my-personal-conf.git")
                      (#:load-path . ".")
                      (#:branch . "master")
                      (#:no-compile? . #t))
                     ((#:name . "packages")
                      (#:url . "git://my-custom-packages.git")
                      (#:load-path . ".")
                      (#:branch . "master")
                      (#:no-compile? . #t)))))

> Previously I set up a cron job to update the second repository and
> added it on the load-path through the Cuirass service configuration.

That cron job is not needed anymore.  Also, that load-path isn't global
any longer: it's per specification (see #:package-path-inputs).

> Since a recent update to Cuirass and the service “load-path” is no
> longer a valid field, so it seems I can no longer do this.  Do you have
> any recommendations on how to accomplish my goal?

Indeed, that recent update you are talking about adds multiple inputs to
a Cuirass specification.  Its goal is to handle your use case in a
better way: the GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH (named "packages" in the above
example) is a new input, and a new evaluation will be triggered when a
new commit arrives in that input.  Its name doesn't matter, but
#:package-path-inputs needs to point to its name.

> Another problem is that Cuirass crashes on startup.  The Cuirass log
> shows me this:

> 2018-08-09T16:54:05 running Fibers on 4 kernel threads
> Uncaught exception in fiber ##f:
> In ice-9/eval.scm:
>     619:8  1 (_ #(#(#<directory (fibers) 127b500> #<<scheduler> ?> ?)))
> In unknown file:
>            0 (_ #<procedure 3de7aa0 at ice-9/eval.scm:330:13 ()> #<?> ?)
> ERROR: In procedure for-each: Wrong type argument: #f
>
> The Cuirass process remains, but appears to be stuck.

This is because your specification list is invalid.  I just noticed the
Guix manual about Cuirass is out of date.  Please, have a look at the
Cuirass manual instead.

Clément