Re: LUKS-encrypted root and unencrypted /boot ?

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: LUKS-encrypted root and unencrypted /boot ?
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2018 22:26:45 -0700

Benjamin Slade <address@hidden> writes:

> I mused briefly about mirroring of the relevant things (kernels, initrd)
> from /gnu/store to /boot, but that's probably pretty hack-y.

The parts of GuixSD which require maintaining state outside of the store
tend to be a little complicated (in my opinion) because they don't fit
neatly into the "functional software deployment model" bubble that the
rest of Guix lives in.

We currently do this for the GRUB config: we copy it out of the store
into the /boot directory, instead of symlinking it.  I believe this was
done in order to support the use case of putting /gnu/store and /boot on
different partitions.  Technically, I think we could do the same sort of
thing for Linux kernel images and initrds, but what's the goal?  If the
goal is just to make it so GRUB doesn't have to open the LUKS volume in
order to boot, then your solution already meets the goal.

However, since your solution puts all of /gnu/store in an unencrypted
partition, you should keep in mind that anything you put in the store
will also be unencrypted.  Therefore, if you add anything from your home
directory to the store (e.g., by using local-file [see: (guix)
G-Expressions]), it may be exposed in the store.  That said, since the
store is generally readable by everybody on the system (and remotely, if
you are using "guix publish"), one probably shouldn't be putting
sensitive information in the store to begin with.

Hope that helps!

--
Chris