difficulty getting networking working on new install

From: Benjamin Slade
Subject: difficulty getting networking working on new install
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2018 12:36:24 -0600

I'm having some trouble getting networking up on my new GuixSD
install. Using the livecd (which I installed with), I used
wpa_supplicant+dhclient (as per
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Preparing-for-Installation.html)
and that worked without issue, but the same method didn't work on my
actual install. (it seems to try to use IPv6?) I ultimately want to use
NetworkManager, but I just wanted to get some sort of connection working
to start with.

I have included in my `config.scm` the "%desktop-services" bit, so I
thought this should provide NetworkManager, but I don't seem able to use
it (I'm not sure how to configure it in guixsd, and I also find no
applet.)

This is the config.scm I've ended up with:

;; This is an operating system configuration template
;; for a "desktop" setup with GNOME and Xfce where the
;; root partition is encrypted with LUKS.

(use-modules (gnu) (gnu system nss) (gnu packages lisp) (gnu packages wm))
(use-service-modules desktop)
(use-package-modules certs gnome wm)

(operating-system
  (host-name "guixy")
  (timezone "US/Mountain")
  (locale "en_GB.utf8")

  ;; Use the UEFI variant of GRUB with the EFI System
  ;; Partition mounted on /boot/efi.
  ;; -> actually using BIOS because guixsd 0.15 live usb didn't probe efi
;  (bootloader (grub-configuration (device "/dev/sda")))
  (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
                (bootloader grub-bootloader)
                (target "/dev/sda")))

  ;; Specify a mapped device for the encrypted root partition.
  ;; The UUID is that returned by 'cryptsetup luksUUID'.
  (mapped-devices
   (list (mapped-device
          (source (uuid "79c67b23-d4ac-4be9-a617-9d83beed9694"))
          (target "guiksdelux")
          (type luks-device-mapping))
          ))

  (file-systems (cons* (file-system
                        (device "/dev/mapper/guiksdelux")
                        (mount-point "/")
                        (type "ext4")
                        (dependencies mapped-devices))
                       %base-file-systems))

  (users (cons (user-account
                (name "emacsomancer")
                (comment "E. Max O'Mancer")
                (group "users")
                (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev"
                                        "audio" "video"))
                (home-directory "/home/slade"))
               %base-user-accounts))

  ;; Add GNOME and/or Xfce---we can choose at the log-in
  ;; screen with F1.  Use the "desktop" services, which
  ;; include the X11 log-in service, networking with
  ;; NetworkManager, and more.
  (packages (cons* sbcl-stumpwm awesome ;window managers
                   nss-certs                      ;for HTTPS access
                   gvfs              ;for user mounts
                   %base-packages))

  ;; Use the "desktop" services, which include the X11
  ;; log-in service, networking with NetworkManager, and more.
(services (cons*  (xfce-desktop-service)
                   %desktop-services))

  ;; Allow resolution of '.local' host names with mDNS.
  (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss))