Re: EFI entry got removed after system reconfigure

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: EFI entry got removed after system reconfigure
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 14:55:02 +0200

Roel Janssen <address@hidden> writes:

> Oleg Pykhalov <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hello Roel,
>>
>> Roel Janssen <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> […]
>>
>>> So I created a new entry from a LiveUSB using “efibootmgr” to boot into
>>> GuixSD again.  Is this a known problem […]?
>>
>> I had this issue a long time ago. [1]
>>
>> I didn't take an attention on output as I remember.  Did you?  :-)
>>
>> [1]  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2017-10/msg00035.html
>>
>> Oleg.
>
> This looks like the same issue.  And that “efibootmgr” command looks
> awfully familiar :).
>
> I didn't pay enough attention to the output of 'guix system reconfigure'
> to notice anything strange, so I don't know if a problem had been
> indicated.

I came across this too recently, because of a bug in the efivar package
that affects some platforms:

https://github.com/rhboot/efivar/issues/111

So I downgraded it in 887fe1fbde7d72788ec348ab4665e1df3d0d704f.  Which
commit did you run the reconfigure command on?

A bigger problem is that GRUB will happily wipe the bootloader entry,
proceed to try to make a new one which fails, and then exit with status
code 0.  I wonder if this has been reported upstream.