Re: Install new package in current generation?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Install new package in current generation?
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 13:40:53 +0200

Jone <address@hidden> writes:

>> Also note that generations are generally lightweight
>
> It's right. But I have another problem with different generations:
> I build and install xfce4-cpugraph-plugin
>
> /gnu/store/qf0khvz9vj5lj4k9sfjxqlbs0kl8ssr3-xfce4-cpugraph-plugin-1.0.5/
> ├── lib
> │ └── xfce4
> │     └── panel
> │         └── plugins
> │             ├── libcpugraph.la
> │             └── libcpugraph.so
>
> of course xfce-panel does not see libcpugraph.so
>
> /gnu/store/rp40p839f65bzkkzrgcx7jbxb0c38nx4-xfce4-panel-4.12.0/
> ├── bin
> │ └── xfce4
> │     └── panel
> │         ├── migrate
> │         ├── plugins
> │         │ ├── libactions.la
> │         │ ├── libactions.so
> │         │ ├── libapplicationsmenu.la
> │         │ ├── libapplicationsmenu.so
> │         │ ├── libclock.la
> │         │ ├── libclock.so
> │         │ ├── libdirectorymenu.la
> │         │ ├── libdirectorymenu.so
> │         │ ├── liblauncher.la
> │         │ ├── liblauncher.so
> │         │ ├── libpager.la
> │         │ ├── libpager.so
> │         │ ├── libseparator.la
> │         │ ├── libseparator.so
> │         │ ├── libshowdesktop.la
> │         │ ├── libshowdesktop.so
> │         │ ├── libsystray.la
> │         │ ├── libsystray.so
> │         │ ├── libtasklist.la
> │         │ ├── libtasklist.so
> │         │ ├── libwindowmenu.la
> │         │ └── libwindowmenu.so
> │         ├── wrapper-1.0
> │         └── wrapper-2.0
>
> Problem! Probably I should to modify the "xfce" package itself, but it's
> not so easy for me.

Garbage collection won’t make a difference here.

According to the definition of the “xfce” and “xfce4-panel” packages,
plugins are searched for on directories listed in the environment
variable “X_XFCE4_LIB_DIRS”.  Try setting that to the directory
containing “xfce4-cpugraph-plugin” before Xfce is started.

--
Ricardo