Re: Does Linux 4.16.1 blast out battery time? (9h+ -> 3h+)

From: Nils Gillmann
Subject: Re: Does Linux 4.16.1 blast out battery time? (9h+ -> 3h+)
Date: Tue, 8 May 2018 21:11:08 +0000

Pierre Neidhardt transcribed 1.0K bytes:

> I've re-tested with 4.16.6: still happening, the battery life is about
> 50% down.
>
> If I blacklist the nouveau kernel module, then the module stops crashing
> in loop, which improves battery time a little bit, but the difference
> with 4.15 is still startling.
>
> Note that blacklisting the nouveau kernel module has the side effect of
> preventing the kernel from putting the video card to sleep, which drains
> the battery even more.
>
> --
> Pierre Neidhardt

Out of Guix suppport scope, but I have a mainboard (not with nouveau)
which showed problems with a certain 4.x version of Linux[1]. The debug
sugesstion by Intel is to configure and run the drm-tip branch[0] of
the kernel. I can't advocate how to package or do this here (which is
too bad), but for all things graphics related this will be suggested
by upstream most certainly.

0: branch as in the repository, not linux repository itself. In case you
   are unfamilar with linux development branching model.
1: Variants of
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=i915%20intel_cpu_fifo_underrun_irq_handler&list_id=579081
   and this is still going on.