Re: Leveraging a GuixSD Host's store in vm-images

From: George myglc2 Clemmer
Subject: Re: Leveraging a GuixSD Host's store in vm-images
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 20:24:07 -0400

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the comments ...

On 04/27/2018 at 03:56 Chris Marusich writes:

> George myglc2 Clemmer <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> What is the best way to leverage a GuixSD host's store in vm-images?
>>
>> I am building Guix from Git on a GuixSD host and running vm-images on
>> the GuixSD host and "foreign" distros in house.
>>
>> Should I use 'guix publish' on the host? Helpful hints appreciated ;-)
>
> Hmmm.  I suspect that "guix publish," "guix archive," and "guix copy"
> are probably the best options at the moment.  How are you making sure
> that each Guix installation is using the same (or almost the same)
> version of Guix?  That will be important for maximizing shareability.

Agreed. The scheme outlined below attempts to do this.

> Another long shot might be to try offloading, but that's intended more
> to distribute the work of running the derivations, rather than
> minimizing the amount of builds that need to happen.  If host A needs to
> build derivation X, host B has not built X, host C has built X, and A
> arbitrarily decides to offload to B, then B will waste time building X
> when A could have just gotten it directly from C.  For a small number of
> nodes, I suppose it's conceivable that it might help on average...but it
> might just as well eat up all your CPU and network bandwidth, too.
> :-)

That does sound problematic.

> If only substitutes published via "guix publish" were discoverable via
> mDNS!  Then it would be easier to share within the same network, without
> going through the tedium of configuring all the hosts individually...

That would be cool indeed. In the meantime, how about ...

On the HOST:

-- set up a guix git repo with a "local master" that points to the most
   recent 'guix' package update.

-- Configure the host and VMs using the local master.

-- 'guix publish' the HOST store

-- resist the temptation to do 'git pull' or 'guix gc' ;-)

-- only when necessary "leap frog" the local master to a newer guix
   package update.

On the VMs:

-- only use 'guix pull --url=HOST’

-- 'guix copy --to=HOST' build results

-- set HOST as the primary substitute server

WDYT?

TIA - George