Re: Installing GuixSD on an external USB hard drive

From: Divan Santana
Subject: Re: Installing GuixSD on an external USB hard drive
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2018 11:26:37 +0200

Chris Marusich <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Divan!
>
> Thank you for taking the time to write to us about the problem.  These
> kinds of but reports are very helpful!

Your welcome. Thanks for the great reply.

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2018, 06:43 Divan Santana <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> OK, I think this is a bug.
>

> It could be.  Please report it to address@hidden  If you have an
> operating system configuration file that reproduces the problem
> consistently, please share it in your report.  In particular, if you can
> reproduce the problem using "guix system vm", it will make things much
> easier for us to debug.  The manual describes how to use that command:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Invoking-guix-system.html

I need to spend time on this and try reproduce it and report it
properly. For the moment I've worked around it.

> The way I worked around it was to:
>

>> 1) remount /gnu/store rw
>>
>> 2)
>>
>> cd
>>
>> /gnu/store/n9ym4yl7s55pm57rnc5whjlzjgvxas32-linux-libre-4.16.2/lib/modules/4.16.2-gnu/kernel/drivers/usb/storage/
>> cp usb_storage.ko usb-storage.ko
>>

> That's good to know, but you should not modify files in the store or mount
> it rw.

Absolutely. I just did it to try test the theory. I've undone the hack
and will see if things break later. But this is a test system.

> It can lead to unpredictable behavior because doing so may violate
> certain invariants.  When hacking around on a throw-away system to
> investigate an issue like this, don't this might be useful, but on systems
> you care about, essentially the only way you should interact with the store
> is via the public Guix scheme APIs and the Guix command line tools, since
> they will ensure that the store's invariants are never violated.

> Again, thank you for the report!  I hope everything is smooth sailing from
> this point on.

Thanks again.

Doubt it will be smooth sailing lol. But I'm learning and guix is
awesome and hope to continue learning and cotribute more in time.

--
Divan