Re: Does Linux 4.16.1 blast out battery time? (9h+ -> 3h+)

From: Tomáš Čech
Subject: Re: Does Linux 4.16.1 blast out battery time? (9h+ -> 3h+)
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2018 08:50:59 +0200

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 11:36:03AM +0530, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:

I just ran a `guix system reconfigure` yesterday and Guix pulled Linux
4.16.1.  Upon reboot, my laptop's battery time had changed from 9h+ to
3h+!  Quite a dramatic regression indeed...

General usage (startup time, etc.) seems to be somewhat slower as well.

As a test, I ran another system reconfigure, changing only the kernel
version: now on 4.14.33, I'm back to 9h+.

Does anyone know something about this or should I reach out for the
Linux mailing list?

Note that before installing GuixSD, I was running Void Linux with kernel
~4.14.5 (off the top of my head) and battery time was 12h+.  This might
be due to the discrete Nvidia card which was completely shut off by
default, while it's now running with nouveau on GuixSD but I don't know
how to turn it off.

Insights?

I'm not aware of any regression but I'd recommend to install powertop
and check, which processes are preventing CPU from switching to power
saving modes.

Sometimes it provides interesting results - I usually can spend like
40% more time on battery by closing Icecat and Pavucontrol.

It also can help you with tuning common power management controls.

Best regards,

S_W