Re: How to install prerelease package versions (particularly Emacs)

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: How to install prerelease package versions (particularly Emacs)
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 21:27:59 +0530

Oleg Pykhalov <address@hidden> writes:

>>> In case of ‘emacs’ package recipe, ‘--with-source’ doesn't work for a
>>> snapshot of the ‘master’ branch.
>>
>> Why?  Because you’d need to run ‘autoreconf’ and the like?
>
> To run everything in ‘(arguments …)’ except ‘#:parallel-build? #t’.
>
> From http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2017-09/msg00074.html
>       (arguments
>        (substitute-keyword-arguments
>            `(#:parallel-build? #t
>                                #:tests? #f
>                                ,@(package-arguments emacs))
>          ((#:phases phases)
>           `(modify-phases ,phases
>              (add-after 'unpack 'autogen
>                (lambda _
>                  (zero? (system* "sh" "autogen.sh"))))
>              (delete 'reset-gzip-timestamps)))))

What do you mean?  That parallel-build has to be turned off for the
master branch?

I actually noticed that running `make -j5` locally, the build fails at
the `temacs` step.  The build succeeds with `make`.

That said, I tried running

        guix build --keep-failed
--with-source=ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-26.1-rc1.tar.xz emacs

It fails with

        starting phase `check'
        make -C lib all
        make info-real info-dir
        You do not seem to have the test/ directory.
        Maybe you are using a release tarfile, rather than a repository
checkout.
        make: *** [Makefile:937: have-tests] Error 1
        make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

Why should it fail if it's a tarball?  The error message seems that it
understands precisely what we are trying to do.

--
Pierre Neidhardt

<JHM> Being overloaded is the sign of a true Debian maintainer.