Re: Disable discrete graphics card (Nvidia)

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Disable discrete graphics card (Nvidia)
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2018 23:51:40 +0200

Hello,

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> skribis:

> On my previous system (Void Linux), bbswitch did not seem to work
> either, but I remember that I fixed the issue by _uninstalling_
> xf86-video-nouveau.

Rather than thinking in terms of “uninstalling” xf86-video-nouveau, you
have to think in terms of which drivers are loaded by the Xorg server.
See ‘%default-xorg-modules’ in (gnu services xorg).

What you could do is something along these lines (untested):

  (operating-system
     ;; …
     (services (modify-services %desktop-services
                 (slim-service-type config
                  => (slim-configuration
                       (inherit config)
                       (startx (xorg-start-command
                                #:modules my-xorg-modules)))))))

where:

  (define my-xorg-modules
    ;; Everything but Nouveau.
    (delete xf86-video-nouveau %default-xorg-modules))

HTH!

Ludo’.