Re: Package requests: Udisks helpers (udiskie, udevil)

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Package requests: Udisks helpers (udiskie, udevil)
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2018 21:42:11 +0200

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> Alternatively, it's also possible to roll out our own 10-line user
> script:
>
>       https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udisks#udevadm_monitor
>
> Save it in your PATH as, say, udisks-automount, then add the following
> to your startup files (e.g. .profile):
>
>       udisks-automount &
>
> --
> Pierre Neidhardt

Sounds like a neat hack!  Is that script supposed to run as an
unprivileged user?  How does this compare to using udev rules?

I enjoy the fact that Nautilus usually "just works" (although I don't
understand how it automatically mounts drives), but on a headless server
without Nautilus, the only experience I have with auto-mounting drives
is by creating custom udev rules along these lines:

https://www.axllent.org/docs/view/auto-mounting-usb-storage/

Using udev, it is possible to customize the way in which disks are
mounted.  You can specify things like the path where it is mounted, the
owner, and the permissions, and you can arrange for the rules to only
apply to specific devices or types of devices, which is quite handy.

However, crafting (and then installing) udev rules is not a very
user-friendly experience.  If there's something we can do in GuixSD to
make it easier to enable auto-mounting for users who choose not to use
Nautilus, that would be awesome!

--
Chris