Re: Package requests: Udisks helpers (udiskie, udevil)

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Package requests: Udisks helpers (udiskie, udevil)
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2018 12:43:29 +0530

Chris Marusich <address@hidden> writes:

>> Some udev rules might be enough though.
>
> That could very well be true!  I don't know a lot about how the various
> desktop environments like GNOME auto-mount removable storage devices,
> but I'd be surprised if you couldn't whip something up with udev rules.

Thinking about it, I don't think that would work.  I haven't tested the
following, but let's consider the Udev rule:

        (define %automount-udev-rule
          (udev-rule
           "90-automount.rules"
           (string-append "KERNEL=\"sd[a-z][0-9]\", ACTION==\"add\",
SUBSYSTEM==\"usb\", "
                          "RUN+=\"/run/current-system/profile/bin/udisksctl
mount -b /dev/%k\"")))

It would mount the drive as root, not for the current user.
It's possible to mount the drives for every one though:

        (define %automount-udev-rule
          (udev-rule
           "90-automount.rules"
           (string-append "KERNEL=\"sd[a-z][0-9]\", ACTION==\"add\",
SUBSYSTEM==\"usb\", "
                    "ENV{UDISKS_FILESYSTEM_SHARED}=\"1\","
                          "RUN+=\"/run/current-system/profile/bin/udisksctl
mount -b /dev/%k\"")))

Conclusion: a udev rule might solve part of the problem (auto-mounting) but
it does not allow for per-user mount points.

In the end, udiskie might be the better option.  What do you think?

--
Pierre Neidhardt