Re: Missing pinentry-emacs for gpg-agent?

From: Vladimir Sedach
Subject: Re: Missing pinentry-emacs for gpg-agent?
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 13:22:23 -0700

> I'm sorry to steal a potential contribution to Guix, but you could try:
>
> ‘M-x view-emacs-news’:
>
>     * New Modes and Packages in Emacs 25.1
>
>     ** pinentry.el allows GnuPG passphrase to be prompted through the
>     minibuffer instead of a graphical dialog, depending on whether the
>     gpg command is called from Emacs (i.e., INSIDE_EMACS environment
>     variable is set).  This feature requires newer versions of GnuPG
>     (2.1.5 or later) and Pinentry (0.9.5 or later).  To use this
>     feature, add "allow-emacs-pinentry" to "~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf" and
>     reload the configuration with "gpgconf --reload gpg-agent".

The two work together, and using pinentry-emacs in my experience seems
to be the only reliable way to have pinentry work with the Emacs
minibuffer.

With pinentry-curses and allow-emacs-pinentry and
allow-loopback-pinentry gpg-agent options, I would still have
gpg-agent prompt for the passphrase in a curses box on the Linux
virtual terminal when running Emacs in X on Debian, whenever the agent
cache TTL would expire (so it would prompt in the minibuffer when
first started, then would prompt in the VT where X was started from on
later attempts).

pinentry-emacs is part of the standard pinentry sources, but its build
is disabled by default. Apparently everyone thinks that Emacs is a
"significant security risk," so no distributions seem to ship it. Here
is a discussion about the issue in Debian:

To me the arguments presented in that discussion against
pinentry-emacs are total nonsense. Any other software the user loads
or that gets compromised to allow remote execution can query gpg-agent
and read all your encrypted files. Same deal with installing an X11
key logger to capture the secret key passphrase. Some of the arguments
are just bogus (e.g., "/tmp/emacs$UID/pinentry is not a sensible
choice of paths, since it is within a world-writable directory" <- has
that person ever heard of mktemp?).

My recommendation, as a heavy user of Emacs and GPG, is for Guix to
build pinentry with --enable-pinentry-emacs, which provides the
pinentry-emacs executable as an option for users.

Vladimir