Re: Installation: Load non-free wifi firmware (iwlwifi)

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Re: Installation: Load non-free wifi firmware (iwlwifi)
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 12:21:40 +0200

Am 25.03.2018 um 07:34 schrieb Chris Marusich:
> As Ludo mentioned elsewhere, using a dongle is one good option.  What
> prevents you from using a dongle?

Why should I punish myself just for to says "Hey, I'm using only free
software"? This benefits nobody! [1]

Please don't get me wrong: free software is to be preferred and we
should push users and vendors towards it. But if for any reason one owns
a device demanding non-free firmware, using e.g. a dongle would not
benefit anybody.[1] The vendor already has the money. In contrary:
buying a dongle adds to environmental pollution and sweating in poor
countries.

The only thing we achieve is distracting users from free software since
it "doe not work".

[1] Given that you basically "trust" the non-free software. Bu if you
don't, you'll not going to use it anyway.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | address@hidden               |