Re: Installation: Load non-free wifi firmware (iwlwifi)

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Installation: Load non-free wifi firmware (iwlwifi)
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 07:34:32 +0200

Hi Pierre,

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> linux-libre turns off the ability to load non-free firmware.  Why is
> it so?

I did a little bit of searching on the Internet, and it seems to me like
the reason why Linux-libre turns off the ability to load non-free
firmware is because the project does not want to induce you to use
non-free software.  For details, you may find this article and the
linked email threads interesting:

"The trouble with firmware" by Jake Edge, January 5, 2011
https://lwn.net/Articles/421680/

> Is it possible to re-enable the feature?

My understanding is that discussions about how to use non-free software
are not allowed on the GNU Guix email lists.  We're happy to help you
figure out how to solve your problems using free software, though!

> If not, are there other ways around the issue?

As Ludo mentioned elsewhere, using a dongle is one good option.  What
prevents you from using a dongle?

Another option is to find a system that respects your freedom and does
not require proprietary software to run.  I have a LibreBoot laptop I
purchased from MiniFree, and I love it!  I know that purchasing a
replacement computer that respects your freedom can seem like an
expensive option, but if you have the money, then it's an option:

https://minifree.org/

You may also be interested in looking at:

https://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/respects-your-freedom

--
Chris