Build image for USB with custom kernel and packages

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Build image for USB with custom kernel and packages
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 17:40:41 +0530

Starting from <guix source>/gnu/system/install.scm, I can run

        > guix system disk-image install.scm

and it works.

Now if I add a custom kernel and a custom package to install.scm:

        (define-public my-linux
          (package
            (inherit linux-libre)
            (name "my-linux")
            (source ...

        (define-public
          (package
            (name "foo")
            (version version)
            (source ...)
            (build-system trivial-build-system)
            (arguments
             `(#:modules ((guix build utils))
               #:builder ...))
            (home-page "")
            (synopsis "Blah blah")
            (description "More blah blah")
            (license #f))))

And in the `operating-system` form:

        (operating-system
                (kernel my-linux)
    ;; Rest is untouched.

I have to use more modules for this to work:

  #:use-module (guix packages)
  #:use-module (guix download)
  #:use-module (guix git-download)
  #:use-module (guix build-system trivial)

This fails to run:

        > guix system disk-image install.scm
        guile: warning: failed to install locale
        warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument
        guix system: error: failed to load 'install.scm': No such file or
directory

Am I missing something or is it a bug?

--
Pierre Neidhardt

Chemist who falls in acid is absorbed in work.