Re: Wayland setup

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: Wayland setup
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 02:08:39 +0100

Hi Thorsten,

Thorsten Wilms <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I finally got Weston to ... fill my screen with a blocky mess and flood
> STDERR with failure.
>
> To recap:
> - use-modules freedesktop and xorg
> - global packages: xorg-server-xwayland wayland weston %base-packages
> - add "weston-launch" group
> - add user to weston-launch
> - add user to "input" group
> - take care of XDG_RUNTIME_DIR:
>
>    export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/tmp/${UID}-runtime-dir;
>    mkdir "${XDG_RUNTIME_DIR}"
>    chmod 0700 "${XDG_RUNTIME_DIR}
>
> I might just add that to .bash_profile or try to put both that and
> "weston-launch" in a script; rekado suggested this should be a service,
> but the documentation and examples (mainly looking at
> gnu/services/base.scm) leave me puzzled.

Thanks a lot for sharing these forays into Guix' uncharted waters :-)

> The running Weston fills the log with repetitions of:
>
> ---
> radeon: Failed to allocate a buffer:
> radeon:    size      : 1048576 bytes
> radeon:    alignment : 4096 bytes
> radeon:    domains   : 2
> radeon:    flags     : 4
> ---
>
> with a few interspersed:
>    [17:53:53.145] queueing pageflip failed: Invalid argument
> and
>    EE r600_texture.c:1419 r600_texture_transfer_map - failed to create
> temporary texture to hold untiled copy
>
> Meanwhile, weston-launch brings up a functional session on my Ubuntu
> 17.04; it doesn't seem to be a general problem with my graphics card.

This looks like a driver problem.  Can you post the output of
"dmesg | grep -w 'drm|r600|radeon'" ?

I seem to recall that hardware acceleration on radeon/amdgpu requires
proprietary microcode, even when using the free driver.  Maybe that is
related?