Re: Installation: Load non-free wifi firmware (iwlwifi)

From: Clément Lassieur
Subject: Re: Installation: Load non-free wifi firmware (iwlwifi)
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 15:00:41 +0100

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> This was posted before:
>
>     https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2017-01/msg00041.html
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not able to acquire a wifi dongle at the moment.
> As far as I understand, linux-libre turns off the ability to load
> non-free firmware.  Why is it so?
>
> Is it possible to re-enable the feature?
> If not, are there other ways around the issue?

Hi Pierre,

Guix allows one to customize their packages through inheritance.  You
could create a custom linux package that inherits Guix's linux-libre,
with, say a differente source.  When linux-libre is updated, my-linux
would be updated as well, since it inherits linux-libre.  Thus, you
would have no maintainance to do.

(define-public my-linux
  (package
    (inherit linux-libre)
    (name "my-linux")
    (source ...)))

This custom package's definition needs to be within GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH.
See
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Package-Modules.html#Package-Modules
for more information.

Clément