‘guix pack’ automatic environment for Docker format

From: Mathieu Lirzin
Subject: ‘guix pack’ automatic environment for Docker format
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 00:19:16 +0100

Hello,

I am trying to use ‘guix pack’ to provide my colleagues an easy to use
compilation environment to run with Docker.  My command to create the
container image is the following

  $ guix pack -f docker -S /bin=bin gcc-toolchain bash cmake make pkg-config
address@hidden coreutils eigen jsoncpp googletest

Then I run that image like this:

  $ IMAGE=`docker load -i docker-pack.tar.gz | cut -d' ' -f3`
  $ docker run -it $IMAGE  /bin/bash

in order for the compilation environment to be fully ready I need to
source the /gnu/store...-profile/etc/profile for things like
CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH, LIBRARY_PATH, ...

While one obvious available solution is to add an extra symlink ‘-S
/etc/profile=etc/profile’ and then source it manually.  I was thinking
that maybe 'guix pack -f docker' could set the ‘Env’ part in the
‘config.json’ [1] with the appriopriate environment variables
automatically.

I would like to know if it would be a good idea, and if it is easily
doable?

Thanks.

[1]
https://github.com/moby/moby/blob/master/image/spec/v1.2.md#image-json-description

--
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37