Re: ssh-daemon service fails to auto start

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: ssh-daemon service fails to auto start
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 10:31:17 +0100

Martin Castillo <address@hidden> writes:

> On 29.01.2018 18:00, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> Martin Castillo <address@hidden> skribis:
>>
>>> i have a problem with the ssh-service. I want it to autostart on system
>>> boot.
>>>
>>> my configuration is (similar to) desk,nossh.scm.
>>
>> I tried this config in ‘guix system vm’ and sshd is automatically
>> started on boot, as can be seen with ‘herd status ssh-daemon’ etc.
>>
>> Does this config work for you in ‘guix system vm’?
>
> No.
>

>> Could you check /var/log/shepherd.log?  It will tell you which services,
>> besides sshd, failed to start.
>>
>> ‘ssh-daemon’ depends only on ‘syslogd’, so as long as ‘syslogd’ is
>> started, ‘ssh-daemon’ should start.
>>

> I checked /var/log/shepherd.log. Only user-homes and ssh-daemon could
> not be started.
>
> Has this maybe to do with missing randomness to create keys? (Even
> though there are already server keys.)
>
> Maybe shepherd should store the output of launched programs? Is that
> really not possible? I can't be the first one to need that.
>
> Martin

I have experienced this problem as well.  SSH daemon fails to start, but
unfortunately Shepherd has nothing useful to say about why.  If I ever
find a way to reproduce it reliably, I'll share that info.

I think multiple people have reported this problem on IRC.  It can't be
a coincidence...

--
Chris