How do I check out a package w/o installing it?

From: George myglc2 Clemmer
Subject: How do I check out a package w/o installing it?
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 14:00:08 -0500

I tried to use 'guix environment' to check out znc this way ...

guix environment --ad-hoc znc -- emacs -nw

I was disappointed when it produced an environment in which znc is not
shown as installed and the znc man is unavailable ...

address@hidden ~ [env]$ which znc
/gnu/store/9g32caq0zi10m3mnydq76mkizpn7r2vd-profile/bin/znc
address@hidden ~ [env]$ guix package -I | grep znc
address@hidden ~ [env]$ man znc
No manual entry for znc
address@hidden ~ [env]$

Is this how it works?

Is there a way to try out a package w/o installing it?

TIA - George