Re: Running IceCat in a container

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: Running IceCat in a container
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 22:52:09 -0500

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 23:16:47 +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> If you drop the attached file under guix/scripts/, you can then run:
>
>   guix run icecat icecat
>
> and similar.  This particular example doesn’t work well because of the
> font issue you’re familiar with, but you get the idea.  :-)

Oh, this is interesting.  I won't get a chance to try this out until
tomorrow, but I think it's a good start.

I sent a few patches moments ago that I've been sitting on for a
bit.  My intent was originally to go further, but I ran out of
time.  But I didn't think `guix environment' was the appropriate place
to put such things---this script, though, is a good starting point for
them.

For example, if one of the dependencies of a program is X11, it can
automatically share the X paths (unless overridden by the user).  Same
with DBUS, sound devices, etc.  I mentioned previous ideas earlier in
the thread.

I'd also want to integrate changes I made to `guix environment'.  If
people here like the changes and they are merged, I'd want to refactor
it into a common place, not just copy the code.

I think this gives us a lot to move forward with, and some good
discussion to have.  A lot of subtle details will have to be worked out,
like what default behavior should be.

Anyway, here's what I have so far.  I still have to get sound working; I
took a pause on that, not having spent more than a few minutes on it;
I'll get back to it hopefully in the next few days.  If anyone else
knows exactly what needs to be done, please lmk.

#+BEGIN_SRC sh
~/guix/pre-inst-env guix environment \
     --container \
     --link-profile \
     --no-cwd \
     --user=user \
     --network \
     -r "$gc_root" \
     --expose=/etc/machine-id \
     --expose=/tmp/.X11-unix/ \
     --expose=$HOME/.Xauthority \
     --share=/dev/snd \
     --share=$HOME/.mozilla/ \
     --share=$HOME/Downloads/icecat-container/=$HOME/Downloads/ \
     --ad-hoc mtg-icecat-containerized  \
     -- \
     icecat --display=:0.0 "$@" \
#+END_SRC

#+BEGIN_SRC scheme
(define-module (mtg personal)
  #:use-module ((guix licenses) #:prefix license:)
  #:use-module (guix packages)
  #:use-module (gnu packages)
  #:use-module (guix build-system trivial)
  #:use-module (gnu packages gnome)
  #:use-module (gnu packages gnuzilla)
  #:use-module (gnu packages fonts)
  #:use-module (gnu packages fontutils)
  #:use-module (gnu packages pulseaudio))

(define-public mtg-icecat-containerized
  (package
    (name "mtg-icecat-containerized")
    (version "1.0")
    (home-page "https://mikegerwitz.com/";)
    (build-system trivial-build-system)
    (source #f)
    (native-inputs
     `(("fontconfig" ,fontconfig)))
    (build-system trivial-build-system)
    (arguments
     `(#:modules ((guix build utils))
       #:builder
       (begin
         (use-modules (guix build utils))
         (let* ((share-dir (string-append %output "/share"))
                (cache-dir (string-append %output "/var/cache"))
                (bin-dir   (string-append %output "/bin"))
                (fc-dir    (string-append share-dir "/fontconfig/conf.avail"))
                (fc-mtg    (string-append fc-dir "/52-mtg-container.conf"))
                (fc-cache-dir (string-append cache-dir "/fontconfig"))
                (fonts-dir (string-append share-dir "/fonts")))
           ;; container script to invoke IceCat
           (mkdir-p bin-dir)
           (call-with-output-file (string-append bin-dir "icecat-container")
             (lambda (port)
               (format port "#!/bin/bash")))

           ;; fontconfig configuration
           (mkdir-p fc-dir)
           (call-with-output-file fc-mtg
             (lambda (port)
               (format port (string-append "<?xml version=\"1.0\"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM \"fonts.dtd\">
<fontconfig>
  <dir>" (string-append (assoc-ref %build-inputs "font-dejavu")
                        "/share/fonts") "</dir>
  <cachedir>" fc-cache-dir "</cachedir>
</fontconfig>\n"))))

           (setenv "PATH"
                   (string-append (assoc-ref %build-inputs "fontconfig")
                                  "/bin"))
           (setenv "FONTCONFIG_FILE" fc-mtg)
           (setenv "XDG_DATA_HOME" share-dir)

           (mkdir-p cache-dir)
           (invoke "fc-cache" "-fv")))))
    (propagated-inputs
     `(("icecat" ,icecat)
       ("zenity" ,zenity)
       ("font-dejavu" ,font-dejavu)
       ("pulseaudio" ,pulseaudio)
       ;;("font-adobe-source-han-sans", font-adobe-source-han-sans)
       ))
    (synopsis "GNU IceCat packaged for running within a container")
    (description
     "GNU IceCat packaged with various fonts (including multi-lingual).
Suitable for use within a container.")
    (license license:gpl3+)))
#+END_SRC

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker+Activist | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer