Re: How to make XQuartz/MacOS <--> IceCat/GuixSD fast?

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: How to make XQuartz/MacOS <--> IceCat/GuixSD fast?
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 23:01:37 -0800

George myglc2 Clemmer <address@hidden> writes:

> I want to speed up IceCat on my GuixSD headless server. I am using
> XQuartz/MacOS over 1000BaseT to reach a server with 3.4GHz Intel E3-1240
> V3 CPU and SSD storage. ISTM this is about as fast as one can make a
> headless server. But IceCat is unusably slow. So I wonder ...
>
> Do you run IceCat remotely from a GuixSD desktop and get good
> performance?  If so, please tell me about your setup.
>
> Would Wayland make it faster?
>
> Would an upgrade to a CPU w/GPU make it faster?
>
> TIA - George

For what it's worth, I have run Firefox in similar situations (not
involving GuixSD), and I have always found it to be un-usably slow over
a remote X connection.  I never bothered to try to make it faster; I'm
intrigued that you were able to make it better at all.

You may also consider doing the following to speed things up:

- Use compression (e.g., "ssh -C") (helps quite a bit in some cases)
- Limit the color palette to the fewest colors possible (helps a little)

--
Chris