Re: Guix and sel4

From: Paul Boddie
Subject: Re: Guix and sel4
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2018 22:17:54 +0100

On Monday 15. January 2018 21.44.08 address@hidden wrote:

> It wasn't entirely what I was hoping for but thank You for answering. So
> to dig a little deeper how closely is guix connected to linux kernel?

Some people are using Guix with the Hurd, so maybe they can explain the
relationship between Guix and things other than the Linux kernel.

I would guess that Guix shouldn't really care too much about the underlying
system below a certain level, but then again I haven't looked into the details
of the project that was mentioned involving Nix and Genode and why the Genode
developers subsequently decided to do their own thing.

The L4Re (as opposed to Genode) sources contains package modules that are
reminiscent of things in the source trees of distributions like OpenWrt and
OpenEmbedded (if I remember the latter correctly), but I don't think there is
any notion of installing these packages while running the system. Instead,
they appear to be bundled in the payload deployed to a system, at least within
the scope of my own experiments.

But package installation would mostly involve making files available in the
filesystem that can then be accessed and executed, so I can imagine that with
filesystem and program launching capabilities, you could have a package
manager for L4Re. Maybe one already exists.

All this said, I'm obviously still learning about L4Re and associated
technologies, so I should probably investigate further before saying anything
else. ;-)

Paul