Re: qemu shared folder

From: Catonano
Subject: Re: qemu shared folder
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 22:39:50 +0100

Hello,

Catonano <address@hidden> skribis:

> I created my virtual machine with this command
>
> guix system vm-image /etc/vm-config-desktop.scm \
>    --image-size=30GB \
>    --share=$HOME=/exchange
>
> then I copied the image from the store to a local folder
> then I run it with this command
>
> qemu-system-x86_64 \
>  -net user \
>  -net nic,model=virtio \
>  -enable-kvm -m 4096 .../projects/qemu-image
>
> Now: I understand that there should be a folder that is shared among the 2
> machines, the host and the guest
>
> I can't find it
>
> Where is it ?
>
> Where is iit on the host ?
> And where is it on the guest ?

The documentation (info "(guix) Invoking guix system") phrases it this
way:

     The example below creates a VM in which the user’s home directory
     is accessible read-only, and where the ‘/exchange’ directory is a
     read-write mapping of ‘$HOME/tmp’ on the host:

          guix system vm my-config.scm \
             --expose=$HOME --share=$HOME/tmp=/exchange

IOW, if you do “cd /exchange” in the guest, you should see the contents
of the host’s $HOME/tmp, read-write.  Likewise, if $HOME = /foo in the
host, then /foo in the guest is a read-only view of the host’s /foo.

HTH!

It helped !

There's some work to do, but we're getting there ;-)

So 2 observations

1)

the script produced by system vm contains this bit:

-m  256

does this mean that the guest has 256 Mb ?

For a Gnome session that's not enough !

I copied this script

/gnu/store/d7kwa95lip6y7xw62fipw391qm3ilb53-run-vm.sh

to a local folder and I edited it in order to give the machine 2 Gb, like this

-m 2G

and it's way better !!

Instead, if I run
/gnu/store/d7kwa95lip6y7xw62fipw391qm3ilb53-run-vm.sh

this what I get, roughly

[  496.828999] traps: pool[679] trap int3 ip:7f4d0230fb31 sp:7f4d00e76ba0 error:0 in libglib-2.0.so.0.5200.3[7f4d022c1000+110000]
Error creating proxy: Errore nel chiamare StartServiceByName per org.gtk.vfs.GPhoto2VolumeMonitor: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildSignaled: Process org.gtk.vfs.GPhoto2VolumeMonitor received signal 5 (g-dbus-error-quark, 26)

gnome-session-binary[577]: WARNING: Application 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' failed to register before timeout
gnome-session-binary[577]: WARNING: Failed to start app: Unable to start application: Esecuzione di fork non riuscita (Impossibile allocare memoria)
[...]

** (gnome-session-failed:542): WARNING **: Cannot open display:
gnome-session-binary[442]: WARNING: Failed to start app: Unable to start application: Esecuzione di fork non riuscita (Impossibile allocare memoria)
 8 Jan 22:10:47 ntpd[386]: Deleting interface #5 eth0, fe80::20e:6d5d:8610:7ad1%2#123, interface stats: received=0, sent=0, dropped=0, active_time=165 secs

This sentence in Italian
"Esecuzione di fork non riuscita (Impossibile allocare memoria)"

means that a call to "fork" failed because allocation of some new memory failed

You are probably not used to run Gnome in virtual machines so you never run into this

Can I pass a switch to system vm so that it concedes more memory to my guest ?
Similar to "   --image-size=10GB " but for ram space rather than disk space

Ok, second observation:

2)

if instead of system vm I use system vm-image,    --share=$HOME/transit=/transit doesn't work
So it seems
Why ?
Couldn't it work anyway ?

Pheew ;-)