Re: Guile-Git, bytestructures, libgit2 and Guix 0.14.0

From: Paul Boddie
Subject: Re: Guile-Git, bytestructures, libgit2 and Guix 0.14.0
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 19:28:22 +0100

(I hope it's OK to send this to the list given that one of the recipients was
- presumably by mistake - the "request" address for the list, not the list
address.)

On Wednesday 13. December 2017 01.35.57 address@hidden wrote:
> Hello,
>
> >> I?m pretty sure we solved it recently but I forgot how.  Do you have the
> >> problem on current master?
> >
> > This is with 0.14.0. I could try with the current master when I'm done
> > trying to build 0.13.0 bootstrap tarballs, hopefully successfully. ;-)

I'm still having my machine work through this at the moment.

> I followed your tutorial in Debian/Hurd.
> What worked for me is installing the packages manually:
>
>   * gnutls-3.6.1
>   * scheme-bytestructures
>   * libgit2
>   * guile-git
>   * guile-2.2.3
>   * guix (master branch)

I'll take another look at this in a while, but having the above list of
ingredients is very helpful, thanks!

> The directory '/usr/local/lib/guile/2.2/site-ccache' should look like this:
>   * bytestructures
>   * git
>   * git.go
>
> For each 'configure' and 'make' use 'GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH
> =/usr/local/lib/guile/2.2/site-ccache'

Not being a Guile user, I fortunately managed to figure out the path variable
and to get the site-ccache (which I guess is like Python's site-packages but
with only compiled objects) to contain those things. So this is a nice
reassurance that I wasn't doing something completely stupid. :-)

Paul

P.S. Using Debian GNU/Hurd (or a Guix variant) is something else I would like
to try at some point, where being stuck on i386/i686/ia32 with old hardware
might even be helpful. Indeed, doing microkernel-related stuff is also on the
long list of tasks I find myself juggling.