Re: Foreign Kodi login entry?

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: Foreign Kodi login entry?
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2017 16:58:35 +0100

Caleb Herbert <address@hidden> writes:

> I had asked the Kodi forum for support with XBMC.
> https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=324201
>
> I'd prefer not to.  Is there any way I could better integrate Kodi with
> Trisquel?
>
> Specifically, I want to have an option in my display manager to let me
> choose "Kodi" from the list of desktop environments and window managers,
> just as there is already an "XBMC" option.

If you have an XBMC option, are you sure it's not actually Kodi?

Or do you mean adding an entry for Kodi from Guix to the display
manager?

In the latter case, you can try to locate the "XBMC.desktop" file
and adjust the Exec line to be /var/guix/profiles/.../bin/kodi.

Not sure how Trisquel does it, but keep in mind that running Kodi
without a window manager is not supported upstream.  I believe official
support for this was slated for version 18, but I don't know if the
snapshot in Guix contains this code.

FWIW, in the past I've run Kodi as a dedicated user, with a minimal
window manager configuration that simply starts Kodi on login.