Re: Application Setup on Trisquel

From: Caleb Herbert
Subject: Re: Application Setup on Trisquel
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 15:05:47 -0500

On Thu, 2017-10-26 at 10:52 -0700, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> "Caleb Herbert" <address@hidden> skribis:
> > I had to comment those lines in /etc/profile because Trisquel's
> > display manager would return me to the login screen after entering my
> > password.

The errors happened even when I commented the lines.  I think the
whole .profile was just written wrong.  It came from my Slackware
backup.

> Does ~/.xsession-errors contain hints as to why this happened?

I had to delete the entire .profile so my login works.  .xsession-errors
now says nothing interesting, AFAIK:

address@hidden:~$ cat .xsession-errors
        Script for ibus started at run_im.
        Script for auto started at run_im.
        Script for default started at run_im.
        Script for ibus started at run_im.
        Script for auto started at run_im.
        Script for default started at run_im.

GNOME's Alt+F2 launcher still doesn't know where Emacs is, but the main
menu does.

> I’d probably move “source $HOME/.guix-profile/etc/profile” to
> ~/.bash_profile, though.

That's what I've done.  I think I'm going to keep it this way.

> But that’s really a shell question more than a Guix question, I think.

Sorry.  It's hard to figure some things out sometimes.

> HTH!

What does this mean, anyway?