Re: networkmanager hostname woes

From: ng0
Subject: Re: networkmanager hostname woes
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2017 08:11:21 +0000

Thomas Danckaert transcribed 2.2K bytes:
> From: ng0 <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: networkmanager hostname woes
> Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 12:14:49 +0000
>
> > Arun Isaac transcribed 0.8K bytes:

> > > hostname
> > > Is
> > >
> > > I have the exact same problem too. If somebody has a solution, I'd
> > > like
> > > to hear about it.
> >
> > I don't understand your problem.
>
> The problem is that changing the hostname after starting an X session,
> breaks that session.
>
> > This is public documented behavior of NM.
>
> Can you point me to the networkmanager documentation?

Not documented as in documentation, but that this is known by
other systems. I've never read the documentation of NM in all
the years I've known this.

> Could help to find a
> proper way to configure this (adding some configuration options to our
> networkmanager service perhaps).  I couldn't immediately find anything
> helpful.
>
> > Assuming that we build networkmanager with dhclient option/configure:
>
> seems like we do: the networkmanager package in in gnu/packages/gnome.scm
> has an option  (string-append "--with-dhclient=" dhclient)))
>
> > add to /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf:
> >
> > send host-name "yourhostname";
>
> I think some people prefer not to send their own hostname to any router they
> connect to (assuming that's what “send host-name” does :-) ).  Do you think
> creating /etc/hostname instead is not a good solution?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Thomas

I don't have any opinion or further help, I just shared what I know
hoping that it could maybe help with further decisions.

How is not sharing your hostname with any router you connect to
a privacy option?
Assuming you don't share it with your local router, looking just
at email it still ends up (in the default case, if not set to forget
on the server) with computers inbetween you, me and gnu.org and
everyone and their email servers. You just have to be aware that the
net is insecure and broken.
Of course we can have a default hostname.
And if /etc/hostname helps to solve the initial problem, go for it.
--
ng0
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588