Re: networkmanager hostname woes

From: Alex Sassmannshausen
Subject: Re: networkmanager hostname woes
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 17:47:43 +0200

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Danckaert writes:

> Hi Guix,
>
> since the change to networkmanager, I've been running into the
> following problem: when I connect to a wireless network using
> networkmanager, I can no longer start graphical applications
> (starting any program fails with “cannot open display :0.0” and
> similar messages).
>
> AFAIU, the cause is that networkmanager changes my hostname (after
> DHCP?), in my case to “new-host2” or something similar, and this
> seems to break the X session.  When I manually restore the hostname
> with “sudo hostname <original-hostname>”, the problem is solved.  Is
> there anyway to disable this behaviour for networkmanager?

I agree with your analysis, I would just add that this behaviour happens
for me at home, but not in most other "professionally managed" wireless
networks.  This makes me think that it might be a network configuration
derived issue — but I have not been able to get to the bottom of this
yet…

I see that you might be based in Belgium — I am too, and my home network
uses most of the defaults from Proximus' B-Box 2.  If this is the case
for you too, then perhaps it is a matter of the default settings in that
router?

Best wishes,

Alex